Italy, the Deep South & Sicily
Tour Price: $6089 per person twin share
Commencing in Rome and ending in Palermo in Sicily we spend 5 nights in the regions of Puglia and Matera - the heel and ankle of Italy, before crossing to the glorious island of Sicily for a further 12 days. Were we stay makes so much of a difference. Avoiding the usual run of the mill hotels, we choose to stay in the white washed, ‘Bee Hive’ Trulli cottages in Alberobello, the extraordinary luxurious ‘Sassi’ caves in Matera, Baglio ‘farmhouse’ hotels and delightful villas. Staying 4 nights in the heart of Taormina we experience a cable car ride and 4WD journey to the top of smouldering Mount Etna, before enjoying a lazy lunch in ‘Godfather country’. We also visit the gorgeous baroque island of Ortigia and see the stunning Roman mosaics at Piazza Armerina. In Agrigento we wake up to views across The Valley of the Temples and after a morning in hilltop Erice we enjoy a delightful cruise to Cape San Vito. Add special dinners, wine tastings and a host of unique highlights and extra visits and you will immediately see how Italy’s deep south and Sicily is quite extraordinary. With 6 departures in 2014, we do it justice!
Albatross give you more...
- Spend 3 nights in Puglia in the ‘Bee Hive’ Trulli cottages of Alberobello, visit the ‘white city’ of Ostuni, Castel del Monte, Polignano a Mare, baroque Lecce, sample wine in Locorotondo and indulge in a typical ‘Italian style’ lunch in Monopoli
- Enjoy a memorable 2 night stay in the beautifully restored ‘Sassi’ caves of ancient Matera and visit the age old carved rock churches
- Relax over 4 nights in romantic Taormina and visit Syracuse, take a cable car and 4WD bus to stand at the top of Mount Etna, enjoy lunch in ‘The Godfather Country’
- See the beautiful mosaics in Piazza Armerina, and explore hilltop Enna
- Spend 2 nights in Agrigento, visit the Valley of the Temples, enjoy a wine and local produce tasting at an olive oil farm
- Spend 3 nights in a wonderful converted Baglio farmhouse, explore Sciacca, the ancient city of Erice and Segesta’s romantic temples
- Enjoy a seafood feast at Vittorio’s restaurant, cruise through the Zingaro marine reserve to San Vito Lo Capo, and enjoy a Baglio wine tasting
- Stay 2 nights in Palermo visiting the famous Duomo in Monreale and delightful Cefalu
2014 Departure Dates
25 April, 16 May, 5 June, 30 August, 18 September, 7 October